U13s away at Newbury

Newbury 40 v Maidenhead U13A 35

Sunday 30th October 2016


Misty and Hazy - no not the names of Annemarie's dogs but the best way of describing the weather and the teams performance for the 1st 10 minutes of this B team fixture at Newbury on Sunday.  


The team was made up of a mixture of A and B players and the boys took a few minutes to get into their stride with handling errors and missed tackles gifting Newbury the opportunity to score three tries in 10 minutes. The third try seemed to gel the squad somewhat and rather than drop their heads they started to play at the level the coaches know they are capable of.  


Paul Groeneweg and Liam Harris-Wildman both made hard storming runs and great follow up work from the other forwards led to Paul opening our account after 15 minutes near Newbury's right hand corner post. The fightback didn't last long however and by the time 20 minutes had passed, Maidenhead were 5 - 1 down! While we looked a bit too casual at times, the boys obviously felt they could turn this around as there was no panic or despondency and additional tries by Iwan Hughes and Liam in the first half led to a slightly more acceptable score line of 6 - 3 to Newbury at half time. 


The coaches felt that while Newbury had had a good first half, a lot of their tries were gifted to them by poor handling and sloppy tackling. With this message in their ears the team started the second half really positively. The first two scores came from Liam and Paul bringing Maidenhead to within 1 of Newbury. Unfortunately, Newbury found a way through again and the game entered a real period of ebb and flow with Maidenhead gaining momentum only to be penalised for a variety of reasons resulting in the opposition regaining the control. The forwards were getting through a lot of work - notably Harvey Bates and Max Pianta - and this freed up Lucas Burridge to score midway through the half. 


Our scrum went well all game and the pack successfully pushed Newbury off their own ball on a couple of occasions, unfortunately we were unable to capitalise on the forward dominance and Newbury scored their 8th of the game. We answered back with our final try (Liam's third) and the game ended with Maidenhead desperately trying to find a way through to draw the game. 


It has to be said that Newbury had a number of subs to bring on and therefore give their players a break, Maidenhead didn't have that luxury as we started the game without any subs due to a couple of no shows and lost William midway through the second half to injury. My feeling is that while we made things hard for ourselves throughout the game, we could have won had we been able to bring on fresh legs.  


Unfortunately we took our lead from the 1st XV with a narrow defeat: 


Final Result " Newbury Blues 40 - Maidenhead 35 


The team where -  

Sam Allen, Harvey Bates, Flynn Bayliss, Lucas Burridge (1 Try), William Edwards-Handley, Paul Groeneweg (2 Tries), James Hargreaves, Liam Harris-Wildman (3 Tries), Iwan Hughes (1 Try), Otto Lazar, Ted Lyall, Max Olding, Max Pianta. 


Coach - Ceri Hughes, Mark Olding 


Match Report by Mark Olding, U13 Coach